Friday, April 2, 2010

What is love? (baby don't hurt me)

So I got to thinking today, and I'm not quite sure what brought it on. And for most of you, the idea of me thinking is prone to bring about trouble. But this time, I was thinking something a little more insightful. I guess this goes back a few weeks to when they asked Sierra and I to talk in Sacrament. Oddly enough, our topic was on eternal marriage. Well, Sierra spoke first, and she spoke long enough to leave me with only about 10 minutes. My talk was focused on what makes a successful eternal marriage, cause I guess I'm such an expert at it being that I'm still not married... Ha. Anyways, so I got to thinking that a good successful marriage is based out of doing the little things.

They say that love is never having to say you're sorry. I completely disagree with that! I think a better statement should be that love is knowing WHEN to say you're sorry. Just because you love somebody doesn't mean you aren't gonna say something stupid... eventually. Ha. (just ask Sierra) ;-) But I think when you love someone, you know when you need to suck up your pride and say you're sorry, and to ask for forgiveness for whatever it is you may have said or done.

But I think the biggest key to a successful marriage is to do the little things. The simple little things that don't seem to be that big of a deal, but have a very lasting impact. What are some examples you may ask? Well, let me embarrass Sierra for a little bit. As we all know... I like sports... and not only do I just like sports, but I love attending sports, watching sports, reading about sports, and watching sportscenter every night. And yes, I even enjoy fantasy football. Now, like most people Sierra could have scoffed at my love of sports, and even my dabbling into fantasy football, but she didn't do that. What she did was she got interested in it, because she knew that I enjoyed it. And not only did she get interested in it, but she even went online and created a t-shirt for me that had my fantasy football team logo on it. She then would ask weekly how my team was doing and if I was winning, and what my chances for the playoffs were. She would even watch the games with me! (of course it helped that my QB was Drew Brees who just happens to play for the New Orleans Saints, and that the Saints did exceptionally well this past year, and that I now live in Southern Louisiana) But she stepped up and she did this series of little things, why? Because she loves me.

So what is Love? Love is pretending to be excited about fantasy football. It's watching the football game, or whatever game it may be and learning enough about it to provide noteworthy criticism of the calls being made. Love is also watching Project Runway on thursday nights with your girlfriend and getting excited about it. Love is buying flowers for no reason, love is wearing pink to her sorority function (sorority colors are pink and green) Love is doing the little things, always doing the little things. Cause that's what love is about. Love is going that extra mile not because you have to, but because you want to. Because you want her to feel special. You want her to know that you think about her everyday and all you want to do is make her happy. And love is doing the little things in return, because love is unsuccessful if it only goes one direction. Love is a two way street, it needs both sides to work. That is what love is. And I'm not trying to say that I'm a master at it, because I still know I have a lot to learn, but I'd like to think that I'm getting there. In the words of Rob Gordon, "I think for the first time, I can see how it's done."

No comments:

Post a Comment