Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Avenue

So... I know it's been forever and a day since I've written, I blame some of that on my lack of a computer for awhile. My other laptop finally crashed beyond repair. But today, I just couldn't resist the urge to write.

A lot has been going on. I've got a slightly different position at work, I solely do Inmate Transport across the state of Louisiana, mainly though I stay in southern Louisiana, you know, south of Alexandria typically. I'm getting married in a few more months, and the planning on that has been fun. While that has been a big event in my life, I'm saving more details on that for a later post. I wanna focus this one on some music...

It's rare that I find a song that I can put on repeat and keep listening to it over and over and over again, and yet as I'm typing, it's probably the 4th time in a row I've played this song... "the Avenue" by Cowboy Mouth is just amazing. I know this song came out a long time ago, it was written in Post-Katrina New Orleans by a band from New Orleans. But I just discovered this song today! Now in my defense, I was in Cambodia when Katrina happened, and then by the time I got back, other news had taken the front page. And I'm so completely drawn to this song, to this city... It's bizarre. Before I even met Sierra I had a class down here in New Orleans, and I fell in love with the city instantly. It was like the city was calling me and begging me to come and stay. I feel such a strong connection to this city, it blows my mind. Ever since the first night I stayed in New Orleans, it became home. I'm not from here, never had even visited the state until that class. So now, hearing this song, hearing someone else's love and pain for this city just pulls me to it even more. I love New Orleans, I don't know why, I don't know what it is about this city, but we connect somehow somewhere deep down inside.

New Orleans, I don't wanna live anywhere else but The Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment